Tuesday, July 13, 2010

How to Rewig a Doll - Glue Dots Review

Yesterday I wrote about redressing your dolls.  It gives them a fresh new look and to be honest, give us doll collector's some quality play time. But redressing your dolls is not the only thing that you can do to bring out your doll's "personality!"

When I first started collecting My Twinn dolls, I wasn't always satisfied with the way they arrived.  I didn't always like the hair or the outfit.  The outfit part was easy to fix, I just bought a new one.  At the time, I didn't realize I could do something about the hair too!

I joined a Yahoo group dedicated to the My Twinn dolls and they taught me all the things I could do to change the doll to my satisfaction.  One of the things was rewigging the doll.  I was horrified at the thought of scalping removing the wig on one of my babies!  But curiosity won out and once I realized how simple it was, I was hooked.  I went to sites such as Audrey's Doll gallery to purchase doll sized wigs and so it began.

I'm going to walk you through the steps that I take to change a wig.  I'm participating in a contest over at Twitter Moms (http://www.twittermoms.com/forum/topics/2000-in-prizes-up-for-grabs), so I thought this would be a GREAT use of the Glue Dots, and it was!  You can visit Glue Dots on Facebook.

1.  Meet Caitie, she's a My Twinn doll and she was in need of a makeover.  She was in a dusty area of my home and she needed a new wig.


The first thing I did was remove Caitie's old wig.  Now this was easy because he wig was not glued on.  Her previous dolly mommy had used double sided tape to attach her wig.


2.  Double sided tape is VERY sticky and very hard to remove.  I used a product called OOPS to remove the double sided tape and residue.  Any leftover glue, I scraped off with a butter knife.  Then I washed her head with soap and water (be careful not to get cloth bodies wet!) and dried it with a paper towel.   I was left with a fairly clean head:


3. Next we tried on a few wigs to see which one we liked best:

We could go curly

Wavy with bangs

or maybe straight with bangs



Decisions Decisions Decisions!!

4. We decided on the wavy with bangs, so I brushed it out until I was satisfied, then turned it inside out.  The reason for this is to keep the hair from getting stuck to the glue.  



5.  Next I covered the doll heat with Glue Dots.  In the past I used tacky glue which was VERY messy!  I love the Glue Dots because they are easy to apply and cover the whole surface:


6.  Once I had her head covered with the glue dots, I SLOWLY rolled the wig on.  I gave it a few minutes to "set" then I brushed and styled it:


Doesn't she look lovely?

I hope these instructions were useful to you and if you do decide to rewig your dolls, send me a picture!

“I wrote this blog post while participating in the TwitterMoms and Glue Dots blogging contest to be eligible to receive a $30 gift card. For more information on how you can participate, click here.” 

Love and blessings!
Margaret

6 comments:

  1. We love using glue dots in our house. They're great. You're inspiring me to take the re-wigging plunge the next time I see a doll that needs some TLC.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the information on Glue Dots. I'd never heard of this until now.

    dbg

    ReplyDelete
  3. Margaret, Great Post....I never knew we could rewig our dolls! Thank you so much for showing us how to do it.
    Cindy

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have been wondering how to rewig my doll without having to use the Tacky Glue which can get onto the hair so easily. This is a great idea!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am planning to rewig an American Girl doll that came with a horrible short uneven wig. I have been shopping but I cannot find a long curly wig like you show in one of your pictures there. I would really like her to have a lot of hair. She will also have a short blonde wig because I love the look of the Cissy Nouveau Dynamite doll.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Lizzie,

    I can't find a way to email you but I just wanted to let you know. I get my doll wigs from Kemper wigs (they sell direct) or from Audrey's doll supplies ($25 min). Glad you enjoyed the article. Margaret

    ReplyDelete