Friday, August 6, 2010

Book Review: Lanie (American Girl of Today)

LanieLanie by Jane Kurtz


My rating: 5 of 5 stars



About the Book:
Ten-year-old Lanie loves science and nature, but she has a problem: she's an "outside" girl with an "inside" family. She longs get out and go camping, but they all want to stay home. It wouldn't be so bad if her best friend was around, but she's halfway around the world, living out their dream of studying wildlife. Lanie feels she never gets to have any adventures -- anywhere. But when her favorite aunt comes to stay, Lanie discovers that the wonders of nature are everywhere -- even in her own backyard.

My Review:
I read this book because I run a book club for my daughter and her friends. This was the first book that we read for the club.

You can tell from the start that Lanie is an "outside" person. She love bugs, she loves helping nature, she loves being outside. Unfortunately the rest of her family does not feel the same way. Her mom, dad and two sisters are definitely indoor people.  Top that off with the fact that her BFF (another outside person) is temporarily relocated!!! Lanie is not the happiest camper these days!

The book takes us on a journey with Lanie, to help her discover the wonders of nature in her own backyard! At first, she is disappointed because it seems her best friend and also her aunt have some exciting trips and she's stuck at home. After a visit from her aunt, Lanie realizes that there is so much to see right where she is! Lanie goes on adventures and some exciting things happen within her family and around the neighborhood.  She even gets her little sister involved! 

As I said, I read this with my 9 year old daughter, she LOVED the book.  It was fun reading about Lanie and we plan to read the second book as well.

Disclaimer:  This was a book from our personal collection. Neither of us received and compensation for reviewing this book.  Opinions expressed are entirely our own!

Love and Blessings!
Margaret



View all my reviews >>

1 comment:

  1. Margaret, I chose you as a recipient of The Versatile Bloggers Award because not only are you a versatile blogger, I know you as a warm, friendly, caring, giving person who loves the Lord and people in general.

    Your Dress My Doll blog is informative for those who collect 18-inch American Girl and AG-type dolls.

    Keep up the great work and stay blessed!

    For more information about the award and whether or not you choose to accept it, please visit my blog.

    Thanks for all you do!

    dbg

    ReplyDelete